When you live in a home with a view of the water, you want to make sure you are able to enhance this view as best as your possibly can. Often, this is done through the use of purposeful, well-thought out interior design. In order to best take advantage of your spectacular view, you will want to set up and plan your interior tactfully. Here are 5 things that you should keep in mind when you are decorating a waterfront home for the best results.
- First, you will want to make sure that your windows all allow a clear, unobstructed view of the water. Be sure to keep areas where you have a view clear. Limit window treatments to the essentials so that the least amount of window space is blocked by curtains or shades. A great option is to install Roman shades. These roll down whenever you need privacy, but can quickly and easily roll back up when you want to see the water with limited obstruction.
- You will also want to include elements of the outside on the inside of your home. Integrate decorations that coordinate with nature. These natural elements add a comfortable, peacefully feel. If you live by the beach, consider including seashells or starfish in your decor. You can fill a beautiful glass bowl with seashells as a centerpiece for your coffee table. Another option is to hang star fish on the walls of your bathroom or bedrooms. These details are charming and unique.
- Install flooring that is sturdy and durable. Often carpeting is not ideal in a waterfront home, especially if you spend a lot of time outside. Often you or your guests will end up tracking in mud, water, dirt or sand from outside, into the house. Choose floors that can stand up to this wear and tear. Make sure the floors are also easy to clean up. It is best to spend a little bit more on high quality flooring since they will last longer and you will get better use out of your initial investment.
- You also want to buy durable furniture for your waterfront home since they will be exposed to wear and tear, dirt, moisture and more. Leather is often a good option if you can keep it dry since they are easy to wipe off as needed. Another great idea is to cover furniture with slip covers. This way you can easily pop the covers into the wash when they need to be cleaned!
- Lastly, choose colors that coordinate with nature and your view. This helps to give the illusion that the view outside is an extension of your home and your indoor living space. If you live by the beach, consider colors like blue or light sand brown. If you have a lakefront home like those on LakeHomes.com, consider color schemes that incorporate blue as well as brown and green.
When decorating the interior of your waterfront home, there are many things to consider that are unique to home with a waterfront view. Taking the time to coordinate the inside and outside while also choosing durable products can make a huge difference. You will be able to enjoy your home for longer and get the most of your view!