Now that the weather is getting warmer, bugs and pests are coming out of hibernation and hatching. This means that your home may become overrun with critters. Not to mention, if you have any standing water around your home, you may have mosquitoes buzzing around, which can make spending any time outdoors completely unbearable. The truth is, though, that bugs can make it unbearable to be inside your home as well. Not only can these pests bite, scratch and cause skin irritation, but they can also start to cause structural damage to your home. Here are five effective techniques for eliminating bugs and pests in your home.
- Make sure that you recycle or toss out all your old firewood that is gathered around your home. Now that the weather is getting warmer, you probably won’t need to utilize your fireplace until next year. Why throw out your firewood? Well, firewood can be a breeding ground for insects, especially termites. When it comes to termite prevention, making sure you don’t attract them in the first place is your first line in defense. You may also want to get rid of fallen trees and branches around your home.
- Make sure to use a dehumidifier. When the weather outside is particularly muggy outside, it can cause the humidity inside your home to rise. High moisture levels can attract all sorts of bugs and critters that can bite and crawl around your home. So, make sure to use a dehumidifier to keep the air an even moisture level. Ideally, you want your home to be at about a 30% humidity level – not too far below or above. If your humidity level is too low, there could be a host of other problems.
- Make sure to keep your house clean. If your house is not clean, you could have a problem with cockroaches, ants, mice and a number of other pests. Not only is it important to clean the counters and floors in your home, but you also want to vacuum under beds, chairs, and under your refrigerator and stove where food might be. Mice are extremely attracted to little morsels that fall behind your kitchen appliances.
- Make sure to hire an exterminator. There are numerous reasons why you want to call an exterminator. For one, you may have a problem with pests and not even know it, so it is important to have a thorough inspection. You may also want to call an exterminator, like Forsyth Exterminating, to consult with on the best measures to keep your home free of pests and critters this summer.
- Make sure to keep all grain, rice, and flour in your freezer. Mites, weevils and other critters that subsist on these foods can burrow and nest inside your cabinets waiting for the bag to open or even creating holes to get inside. So, to keep your dry goods safe – simply keep these items frozen – at least until the winter when it won’t be such a big problem.